I wanted to find a use for my old pair of shoes, other than sitting in the back of my closet. I wanted a way to get the shoes to move, this ended up being by a bearing allowing the shoes to spin. I also wanted to do some woodworking for this project. Woodworking is something that I’ve enjoyed but not gotten to do very much of.
I have had this pair of shoes for seven years. The day that they finally ripped to the point that they were unwearable I was devastated; I immediately ordered another pair. I had been through a lot with these shoes and I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away, they sat in the back of my closet until I could think of a good use for them. I saw an opportunity to challenge myself; by being an artist, and by taking something that is very un-aesthetically pleasing and make it aesthetically pleasing.
I originally described my vision for this project by describing it as a trophy. I realized that this was misleading, I didn’t mean trophy in terms of to signify an accomplishments but more in looking for a trophy. A better description would have been to describe it as a centerpiece. More than anything I wanted a way to display my pair of shoes so I could look at them every day and remember everything we’d gone through.
My design loop turned out to not be much of a loop. I didn’t put enough thought into my design loop before I started the project so my design loop ended up being linear. If I could have improved on my design loop I would have preferred to include some iteration. The key to adding this to my design loop would be to start my project early and constantly go back to the design and idea stage to add enchantments.
I defiantly achieved my functional goal. I know have a way to display my shoes which was the main objective. I was also able to incorporate movement into my project. Lastly I was able to get into the wood shop and grow my skill in the topic.
I am not sure that I achieved my artistic goal, unfortunately my project is still kind of ugly. I think the biggest reason I failed to achieve this goal is because I neglected the wood too much. I thought the natural color of the wood would bring out the color in the rugged leather but rather it just looked rough and unfinished.
To achieve more of my artistic goal I would like to do more with the wood. Two easy things that could be done to the wood is stain it to make it seem more refined and also wood burn the years I had the shoes into the side of the wood. A more difficult thing I could do would be to cut a chamber alone the top edge of the bottom piece of wood.