Overall I am pretty happy with how the board turned out, I didn’t think that the simplicity and overall feel of the board would live up to my expectations. However, because there has been a lot going on with life outside of this class I was unable to finish the project. This project is important to me, and I definitely will commit myself to making a finished product in the next coming weeks. In order to finish the project there are a couple steps I am going to take.
The first thing I want to do is sand the edges down so that the pieces fit together a little better. Once this is done, I will decide if staining the pieces is a possibility and if I should add any color into the designs. Personally I really like the burnt wood, and I think that staining the hexes different colors could take away from my aesthetic. Within the Catan board, there are edge pieces that I will need to make to make a functioning board. I was originally going to make them, and I have the design ready however I ran out of materials. I do not have the funds to order more material at the moment. So this is something that will be done but I need to wait on the materials. The last thing that I intend to do, is I would like to use the final sand hex as a place to mount a dice rolling system. This will be done by buying a Pop-O-Matic dice roller that I will take off of a Trouble game. This will be beneficial to Catan because now you can roll the dice without having the board pieces move from contact with the dice.
This has been a fun project and I look forward to continuing to develop my Catan Board.