For my final project I’m creating a functional furniture piece with varying aesthetics. These are the top five constraints for my final project.
- Aesthetic types: In my previous post I mentioned the use of the minimal and vintage aesthetic. I think i’d be best to constrain my project to these two aesthetic types so I can move forward in the design process and focus on the relationship between these aesthetics and the overall functionality.
- Material: This is another important constrain for my project. I’d like to create a piece made out of wood and metal. Integrating the two materials may be challenging. I’ll have to do some design work and research to verify if multiple materials is viable.
- Manufacturing Process: This constraint depends on the previous constraint regarding the materials chosen. If I end up using metal i’d most likely create drawings to use the idea forge machine shop. If it’s just wood I can use the wood shop in the idea forge as well. Overall the manufacturing process for my project can be completed on campus.
- Functionality: This constraint depends on the overall design of my piece. If I create a chair i’d like to focus on the overall design with respect to the comfort. The goal is to make a piece aesthetically pleasing and pleasing to use.
- Size: This constraint depends on the overall design. I’ve had a few ideas about chairs however other types of furniture may suffice.