In my design review I had cut out the sewing pattern fabric for the 1/2 size coat:
Since then, I sewed those pieces together to make a full 1/2 sized coat. Here are some pictures of the sewing process:
It did not work out very well! I expected this to happen which is why I made the smaller version. The main problem was around the collar area which has been the hardest portion to work out throughout this entire design process.
The collar ended up with way too much fabric because the shoulder part somehow ended up way too small and the collar was too big.
I decided to make a full size version of the top section of the coat (like a short vest) because this was where all of the problems were with the dimensions.
This version worked out pretty well! I still need to change some of the dimensions to make the collar better but it is way better than where it was.
Now I just need to make the full size paper cutouts, buy some good quality fabric, and sew everything together! This sounds simple but it will probably take a lot of time seeing as how the small coat took me a couple hours to sew.
Here is my timeline for the rest of the semester:
- Make final paper cut outs (3 hours) – 4/4
- Order fabric – 4/3
- Fabric delivered – unknown, hopefully by 4/12
- Might have to get the fabric dry cleaned to make sure the fabric won’t shrink in the future.
- Pin and cut out all the pieces (1.5 hours) – 4/14
- Sew all the pieces together! (7 – 10 hours) – 4/21
- This includes sewing, ironing, and trimming the extra fabric plus any other unknown unknowns that might occur.