While a lot of my project seems do-able, there are constraints in every project. So lets get into what I’m thinking my constraints will be while making a magic mirror:
- Money – This project requires a computer monitor, two-way glass, a raspberry-pi, and wood for the frame. The cheapest monitor I could find was around $80 (since it has to be pretty flat to work). Also, the best two-way glass can get pretty expensive depending on how good you want the interface to look.
- Time – The time that it will take to get everything shipped to me is a little worrying. I need to be saving up money now and ideally getting it shipped before next week.
- Skill – I don’t know a lot about fabrication and working with wood. I have never made a shadow box, and while I have found some instructions online, I want it to be something of my own and therefore not just a cookie cutter of an online tutorial. This worries me because what if I mess up?
- Material – The idea I have in my head for the type of wood I want is likely not going to be the type of wood that I find. I want it to be weathered but still functional and I’m just not sure that I will find that exactly. I might have to end up just buying wood from a hardware store.
- Weight – Right now, I don’t know how heavy this artifact will be. Ideally I want something that I can move around with me as I move apartments.