Construction Update // Industrial Wedding Arch

Despite having some major setbacks due to COVID-19, decreased access to on-campus resources, and shelter-in-place orders, I am really proud of the progress I made on this project. Due to lack of access to a machine shop, I ended up overhauling my design such that I could make it with what I have. It took some re-design and research, but I managed to get the structure of my wedding arch built. I am awaiting the arrival of some of the decorative, aesthetic, elements and had to descope some of the electronic elements until a later date.

I ended up choosing to not use copper piping since I have no way of cutting or welding it. Initially, I thought PVC spray painted copper would suffice, but I found that foam-core ABS was cheaper and lighter. It was more difficult than I initially thought to find pipe fittings that are 60 degrees for PVC and ABS pipes, but I eventually found some.

I also redesigned the structure to accommodate what I could find in terms of fittings, ABS pipe, and to minimize the amount of cuts I would need to make. I originally wanted a double hexagon (i.e. two hexagons offset from one-another), but the options for pipe fittings were not as good for non-copper pipes. I ended up ordering all of my supplies from Home Depot for just over $50. I got:

  • (3x) 10 foot long ABS foam-core pipes (1.5″ diameter)
  • (4x) 60 degree ABS pipe fittings (1.5″ diameter)
  • (4x) 90 degree ABS pipe fittings (1.5″ diameter)
  • (2x) Tee ABS pipe fittings (1.5″ diameter)
  • Copper Rose colored spray paint + primer
  • Pipe cutters for plastic pipes up to 2″ diameter

I then got to work constructing my arch. I wanted to know right away if my re-design would actually work structurally or if it was back to the drawing board. I cut the ABS foam-core pipes into nine piece (3 foot increments, with some leftovers) using a tape measure and chalk marker:

I then assembled the base of my arch:

Then I assembled the hexagonal part of my arch:

I thought that the base looked kind of weird and too large. I wanted it to be smaller and only big enough to support the structure. So I cut the base pieces down so that the width of the base is 1 foot instead of 3 feet:

This looked much better to me and I was pleased with the overall scale (I am 5’8″ for reference):

My next steps are to paint the structure and add the floral and lighting elements. I wanted to personally arrange the greenery and flowers, but unfortunately, craft and flower stores are closed. I settled on ordering some wisteria garlands.

I also wanted Edison bulbs that are programmed to dim randomly. However, I am having trouble finding what I need that is within my budget and will dim and brighten autonomously. Originally, I wanted to program this part with Arduino, but without access to on-campus resources like wires and solder, I decided to try this using string lights that have a built in dimming/brightening feature.

Also, I want to make this arch easy to assemble and disassemble. I would like to create a nice assembly manual with animated images. I think it would be most helpful to use ABS cement to cement together the base, which is 1′ by 3′, since the Tee fittings are actually oriented at a 60 degree angle to the floor. Getting this angle just right took a little effort and every time I tried to adjust it, other fittings tried to wiggle loose.

Previous Post
Construction Update: Stirling Motor
Next Post
Construction Update // Kensue Kiatoukaysy

1 Comment. Leave new

  • I really like the idea you have for this and am really impressed that you’re able to make this. I like the adjustments you’ve made. I think painting the PVC copper is going to look well against floral decorations and lights. At this point Im just impressed that you are able to complete your project.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu