Final Project Update: Octopus statue

The past week I have been working on trying to create my final project I had painted cardboard to look like wood but when trying to cutout the cardboard I realized that I couldn’t get the curvy shapes using a box cutter, everything had become jagged and I had to make some serious design fixes. But while fixing this the shape had become basic and honestly ugly. Below are pictures of the painted cardboard for the wood texture

Since I don’t have time to restart I’m switching to making a CAD model of the statue in Rhino and will render it in Fusion 360. I started making the basic look of the octopus body and have almost finished it. Since Im making it in rhino I’m going to try to do my original plan and add lights to it that could change over time. Below are pictures of the CAD octopus. I have some work to do on the head but I think I’m at a good spot considering this is a disaster.

 

Previous Post
Construction update: reading table
Next Post
Construction Update: Cardboard Grabber

2 Comments. Leave new

  • Kaiya Wahl
    Hannah Walsh
    May 5, 2020 3:22 pm

    It’s too bad that you thought it looked once you got close to the finish point. Given the limited resources, it’s nice that you were able to pivot. Hopefully making a 3D model will help smooth out any issues in the future if you try to build this in the future. I was really looking forward to seeing this so I hope you are able to complete it at some point (given resources and we’re allowed outside…)

    Reply
  • Kaiya Wahl
    Zach Aldrich
    April 15, 2020 5:51 pm

    Kaiya,
    My project has also turned into a disaster, I also ran into the problem of cutting sleek curves using a box cutter. I think your pivot to Rhino is a smart move, And it is already turning out great!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu