The chess board is in the initial stages of the build. I have acquired the wood, brought it to the Makerspace, and have started to build my product. I began by inspecting the maple and walnut wood for any imperfections, ensuring it would suffice for my chessboard.
Next, I verified my drawings with an external party to ensure they made sense (measure twice cut once).
I discovered I needed to leave an extra 1/8” per cut due to the thickness of the saw blade. This adds up to 1” for all 8 cuts. I am happy I learned this before I started cutting, because I had to add an extra inch to my design.
I began by resizing the boards to 2.1×18 inch. Then I used a table router to ensure my edges were straight and had a uniform width. This was challenging, as maple can be difficult to work with. Next, I glued them together in an alternating pattern and let them sit for 24 hrs.
I used enough clamps to ensure all surfaces would be flat and perpendicular. I used a flat granite surface to ensure the playing surface would be flat. This can be seen in the pictures below:
Next, I returned in 24 hours and removed the clamps. I used a hand planar to remove the excess glue and make sure all the surfaces were even. This was a tiring job. See the images below.
After a lot of hand planing, it is starting to look good. I will have to do this process again during the next glue phase.