For my upcycle project I decided to create a belt bag in a Gorpcore aesthetic. To achieve this I decided to use a variety of ripstop nylons for the exterior of the bag. This was my first ever sewing project that required patterning a design and cutting different layers for it to be assembled. I designed the pattern and sewed the entire thing in a black color for the prototype version 1.0 of my design. I plan to do the final in a more earth tone based color scheme.
For the actual assembly process I sourced ripstop nylon from the scraps bin in the BTU lab. I found a used pair of bag straps in my pile of things to donate and found a usable zipper I could use for access to the bag. My first step in creating the bag was patterning it out and I designed it so that it could fit my essentials: iPhone, keys, wallet, and AirPods.
I patterned out both sides of the bag and cut the fabric as needed. I then began the zipper attaching process which was much more difficult than I imagined. I will refine this on the final version of my product and hide all the seams. After installing the zipper and attaching the straps I flipped the bag inside out which meant the straps were outside in which I screwed up initially and then ended up reattaching later.
Overall I was pretty happy with my first ever cut and sew project and I will plan to fix all the mistakes I made with version 1.0 when I begin version 2.0 before this final upcycling project is due.