I developed a final design for the information display by proportioning the display window to fit two LCD displays. Additionally, I added another element to the side, which will light up in orange LED. This was done after receiving feedback to include more features to the previously more simple design. I really like how it looks now, so I can go ahead and proceed with manufacturing it.
I also decided to ditch 3D printing and laser cutting acrylic. Both the aforementioned processes will not give me the desired surface finish nor is it friendly to my wallet. Instead, I’ve decided to pursue an old school method of prop making where the basic shape is built up with cardstock paper and reinforced with resin and fiberglass followed by fiberglass filler and putty. This process takes much longer, but it is more satisfactory when it is completed.
I ordered all my parts last week, and my LCD displays and capacitive touch shield have just arrived. I’m still waiting for the orange LEDs — hopefully they will ship soon. In the mean time, I will start building the structure out of paper.
The total cost spent so far is $68, which is way below the initial estimates of $110.
Complete structure assembly – 3/19/16
Finish resin and fiberglass reinforcement – 3/23/16
Finish programming – 3/23/16
Complete final shape before painting – 3/30/16
Finished product – 4/2/16