I’ve spent the last few weeks tinkering with Arduino code and discussing the project with others to get ideas. I got some code to work that uses a potentiometer to change the brightness of the LEDs and another potentiometer to control the flash rate of the LEDs, but not in the same script. I talked with Pat over in the Idea Forge and he gave me a few great suggestions on a few key components.
I plan on 3D printing the parts that will house the electronics and possibly printing the control box. I was thinking of using black filament so that it does not stand out or take away from the light effects, the main focus of the piece. Just like the frame and central disc, the control panel will be simple and sleek. I envision the control panel having a few buttons, knobs, a slide potentiometer, and LEDs.
My next steps are:
- Buy the remaining parts
- Design and prototype the central disc
- Design and prototype the rectangular frame
- Learn DC motor control
- Test with first motor (will create a light disc)
- Design and prototype larger, U-shaped frame
- Test with second motor (will create orb)
- Test with third and final motor (will create more intriguing orb)
- Build control box and panel
I will be here over spring break and hopefully I have enough time and energy to put a lot of work into this project.