For the project of creating a desktop sized mountain bike using paper clips soldered together, the process has been largely trial and error. Once I got the idea, I researched online, seeing if other people had attempted similar ideas. There seemed to be a decent amount of information regarding soldering paperclips, but this application seemed to be somewhat unique. Throughout this process, I continued to make a list of material and tools I would need.
I started off purchasing paper clips with a rubber coating without realizing it, so I had to go back to the store. Once I got non-coated paper clips, I was off to the races. Since ventilation would be important while soldering, and it was cold in the garage, I decided to set up a workstation in the laundry room. I laid out cardboard on top of the washer and driver, cracked the window, and turned on the exhaust fan. For the next 6 hours, I would be regretting my project decision and struggled, bending paper clips (which are surprisingly hard to manipulate precisely).
The hard part was bending them to the shape, and then holding it in the position relative to other paper clips so I can apply the solder. I ended up using a lot of tape to temporarily hold the pieces together while I applied the solder.
It seems to be going okay so far, but I have a lot of work to do.