For my final product I made upcycled porcelain jewelry from a mug I had recently broken. They happened to be about the right size that I wanted for a necklace and an earring. To create the holes I wanted to use a hand drill, and sand paper to smooth out the edges and get the shape that I desire.
I went through numerous iteration in regards to attachment options. I had initially used a fish hook and fishing line to attach the earrings but those posed a problem since they were a little too sharp. So I eventually resorted to using an actual earring hook from a broken earring I had lying around. I would have made 2 earring but I ran out of material and drill bits. Surprisingly the drill bits were worn down by the hardness of the porcelain in just two passes throughs.
I used a metal file and chisel to shape the ceramic but it was very tedious and I broke a couple in the process.
I initially used some ordinary thread as the necklace string but it was not very aesthetically pleasing and I didn’t know if it would hold. I have braided things in the past so I was able to use that skill to create a better “chain” for the necklace. I think it turned out a lot better than expected.
All in all I am really happy with the final product. I would like to make another earring in the future to match this one.