My final project’s vision was to create a shelf that had a terrarium inside of it with a bauhaus aesthetic. First, I found a bauhaus design that I wanted to base my shelf off of.
Initially the shelf had a circular shape but I found that the design and terrarium would work better with a square shape instead of a circle. I the gathered all the materials needed, which were:
- sheets of glass
- potting soil
- super glue
- a coating so the wood wouldn’t rot with the terrarium
I already had paint, nails, wood glue and a drill. After I had all my materials, I figured out the measurements of wood pieces I needed and cut them all down to length.
Before I put the shelf together, I labeled each piece of wood to make sure I know where each piece goes, what color to paint it, and which ones get coating. I then painted each piece of wood a specific color to make it fit the aesthetic. After waiting for it to dry, I assembled the shelf. I glued all the pieces together first and then drilled the square base together and the right and left side shelve pieces that stick out to give it extra support. After that, I had to spray a sealant on it to make sure the wood does not rot with the terrarium.
After I was done assembling the shelf, I had to build the terrarium. Originally I planned to make the entire inside of the square part a terrarium but I realized it would work better if I created it in the smaller square inside the larger square. First I had to measure and cut the pieces of glass to fit the square, then I glued the pieces to the wood and began to put the rocks, soil, plants and moss in the terrarium. I made the piece of glass in the back of the terrarium shorter than the front to give room to build the terrarium and water it.
My design changed a lot during the process, but I’m still happy at the way it turned out. The design was planned to be circular, but it is square. The terrarium was going to be bigger and I had planned to attach a large, long piece of wood to the back to the entire shelf but I decided against it.
One of the biggest challenges I had for this project was making sure the alignment of all the wood pieces were correct. I also overestimated the size of the terrarium when shopping for plants. The plants are a bit big for the space but I think it ended up looking nice.