Figuring out what I wanted to make from objects around my house was a hard decision to make. Stumbling across fidget toys that “high quality” made me want to try and make one for this project. Of these toys, fidget spinners caught my attention the most. Many of these are 3D printed or milled with a CNC machine. Many of the CNC milled metal ones sell for about $100.  
Even though 3D printing a case for the bearings to be houses in would have been easy, I felt that it would have defeated the purpose of the project of using items laying around the house. So I played with different materials to bind some bearings I have from my skateboard together.
I wanted a way to securely fasten everything but still be able to undo anything that I wanted to keep. This was an essential part for this spinner. The artistic look I was going for was minimal but functional. The pleasing aspect of it would come from how smooth it would actually spin.
I tried using things to bind the bearings like duct tape and rubber bands. I avoided using glue simply because I wanted the ability to put my bearings back into my skateboard whenever I wanted to. In the end, zip-ties seemed to work the best because of the ability to tighten in increments.
The bearings I got from my skateboard were so dirty that they barely even spun. Yet when compared to the “real” product, I didn’t see much of a difference in performance.
Simply coming up with an idea was the hardest part of the project. The only thing I knew I wanted was that I wanted the final product to be dynamic. My design process was fairly linear once I knew what I wanted. It was more of a trial and error to see if certain materials would work or not. My original design process graphic gives an accurate representation of my actual process.
I had a last minute upgrade I decided to go with. Many of my friends liked the spinner I made so I decided to make another to give away. But the idea came to me that I could attach it to the first one so that I could either have one large spinner that could rotate in two directions at the same time. I ended up liking the feel of this much more.
I achieved my artistic goal of looking/being as cheap as possible. Just bearings and zip-ties, but functionally it performs similarly to a $100 “real” spinner.
Next I plan on making a “higher quality” spinner. I will use solid works to model it how I want to then 3D print it. If I like the design I think I will go about milling a casing out of metal to put my zip-ties to the test.
Sources: – https://cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images/fidget-cube-640×533.jpg  – https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3e/e4/eb/3ee4ebaf28a38db08a6e1ad9311683cc.jpg  – http://efdesign.bigcartel.com/product/hypno-spinner-us-antique-brass  – https://i.imgur.com/hY0tHpK.gif