As an avid cyclist and professional triathlete, I took the whole “upcycling” concept quite literally. I have decided to use an old chainring and turn it into a functional clock. What inspired me to do this was not only my love of bikes but I wanted to give my college coach a gift, since I will be graduating this may. Though, I have not yet assembled my project, I have come up with a plan of action.
- Clean the chainring: get any old grease or lubricant off of it
- Disassemble wall clock: remove the electrical components: motor, battery, hands
- Cut a piece of cardboard into a circular shape. This will be the mount for the chainring and where I will attach the clock components using E6000 glue (apparently really strong)
- Cut out construction paper and glue it onto the cardboard.
- Punch a hole through the cardboard
- Glue chainring to cardboard and attach clock components
- Decorate! I am thinking of doing a map of the city of Boulder as the background and spray painting the chainring gold so it is Buffalo colors.