As a fan of the modern rustic look a few people brought up in Aesthetic Explorations, I decided I wanted to do something with an old shipping pallet. I figured they would be easy to get a hold of, relatively easy to work with, and I would have lots of options for what I could do with it. After finding a stack of pallets behind an auto parts store and seeing a pile of knitting yarn in Goodwill, I grabbed a hammer and crow bar, and started ripping my old pallet apart. A few iterations later, and above is the final product.
At first, things progressed right along my team’s drawn design process, and re-assembling the wood into a flag-like arrangement was a straight march through the first few steps of our loop (seen below).
Once the initial wood “prototype” was done, I began adding screws (borrowed from my landlord’s storage garage) in the general outline. Eager to see what my final flag would look like, I added screws by hand, and then zigzagged the colored yarn across it. The initial version is shown below:
After documenting with a photo, I continued around my design loop- the uneven “C” shape was driving me crazy, and I knew it couldn’t stay that way. Further, I didn’t like how much the yarn covered up the cool wood pallet I was using (especially in the yellow area), and also wasn’t a fan of the random cross-hatch.
I stuck with our initial design loop, and went back to research- browsing photos of other “string and nail” art pieces on line, I decided that parallel lines looked best, and the crooked “C” (in the above photo, the red section is thicker on the top than on the bottom) had to be fixed. The obvious possible solution (round 2, this time) was to pull all the string off, and start over.
Back to planning- you can see the lopsided circle in this photo of removing the v1 yarn. I had been holding off on removing the double-layered blue, but quickly decided that should go as well. The plan keeps circling!
Fixing the circle. At this point I realized I should have been more mathematical about my screw placement, but I got it pretty close by being a little more cautious in my eye-balling it.
Second pass through the prototype loop- the circle is more even, and the bottom, single-layer stitch shows a little more of the original wood than the old top section. Pressing on!
Ahh, much more even. While I was almost starting to regret tearing v1 apart and starting over, these parallel lines were really satisfying. I decided to take a similar mathematical approach to the yellow section (though with two layers, as I didn’t want it to be too transparent and the yellow pop is an important part of the Colorado flag), and a radial approach to the red C. I also added in the white- though I had originally left the white out (as to not hide the wood), I decided only one layer might be the best compromise.
The final product:
Finally, a result I was aesthetically pleased with after two loops through our design process. I think I got pretty close to the rustic modern look here, and am really happy with the amount of gnarly old wood visible behind the bright popping colors.
Functionally, I plan to hang this guy on my wall in my house- the closer I get to graduating and potentially leaving Colorado, the more I realize how much I’ve loved it here. I’m really happy with how this turned out, and might even try more nail-yarn designs in the near future! For the next attempt, I think I will try some sort of exact grid system of perfectly spaced nails, just to make the lines even more straight and satisfying.