Here are the top 5 constraints for my proposed wind turbine design.
- Altitude. These small wind turbines are not very effective and won’t produce significant electricity unless they are at least 20 ft off the ground. This is due to the drag force the ground exerts on wind.
- Blades. Wind turbines require incredibly precise blades that have a center of gravity directly through their center axis into the motor. I will most likely be purchasing pre made blades, but even so, I will need to be very precise when placing them on the turbine.
- Motor. I need to source a small high voltage low rpm motor that will work effectively with my turbine. These aren’t incredibly easy to find, and I may have to spend more money if it turns out there isn’t a viable on on ebay.
- Electricity. I need to generate at least at least 12V to charge deep cycle batteries or run an inverter. I am really hoping I can produce a consistent 12V on a windy day.
- Hub assembly. I will need to purchase a shaft arbor in order to transfer the rotational energy from the blades to the motor shaft. This arbor needs to have a low moment of inertia so that it doesn’t waste energy from the rotating blades.