I have made a lot of progress on my final project.  I would project that I am 90% complete with the project and plan on completing the remaining 10% this upcoming weekend.

  • CAD model was finalized and all dimensions were finalized
  • Material was purchased and parts were cut using the laser cutter
  • Parts were assembled in order to ensure fit and function of gear box
  • Spacers were used to make sure that all gears were perfectly aligned
  • Parts were then spray painted black to add a base coat for weathering technique
  • “Rub N’ Buff” was applied to gears to give an appearance of gold metal gears
  • Gearbox was then ready for final assembly
  • The stepper motor has been coded and the gear box functions as intended
  • The only remaining parts that need to be manufactured are the outer gear that will display the hours and the stand that holds up the stepper motor to display
    • These parts will be made using the same technique and material that were used for the gears.

Overall I am very pleased with my progress thus far. From the progress pictures above it looks as though everything has gone smoothly without many problems. I assure you that is not the case, I have run into many problems and plan to include them in my final presentation.

Previous Post
Final Stretch: Tori Herfert, Lazy Susan
Next Post
Design Loop Reality | Cardboard Lamp

5 Comments. Leave new

  • Gautham Govindarajan
    Gautham Govindarajan
    May 10, 2017 11:48 pm

    This is cool project. I had an idea to make a reverse clock for my project but changed my mind. Its cool that you are continuing with your idea.

    Reply
  • Jack Wheeler
    Jack Wheeler
    May 10, 2017 3:08 pm

    From the pictures, it seems like you got a lot of your project done well ahead of time. Each of these components looks well constructed and matches the aesthetic well. From seeing the final project, it looks like things went really well from this point forward, so great job overall!

    Reply
  • Dean Alibrandi
    Dean Alibrandi
    April 19, 2017 1:28 pm

    Looks like your project is well on its way! I really like how you used a different material for the gears and then painted them to give them the overall aesthetic you wanted, that is very clever. Looks great cant wait to see it in action!

    Reply
  • Wow! You’ve made a lot of progress, I really like the use of the Rub N’ Buff it really makes the gears look a lot better. I’m really looking forward to seeing your final product!

    Reply
  • Hunter Miller
    Hunter Miller
    April 19, 2017 12:05 pm

    Very cool project. I want one. The gold rub finish gives the gears a very nice finish. It actually makes it look like brass gears. If there are files for the gears I would honestly want to make one myself. Was it difficult to figure out what gear ratios you needed?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu