The URL for my 9min. presentation is..
My overall purpose for this project was to create something that could meet the requirements of this class, but be used in my daily life. I don’t feel like we should upcycle something only to trash it. As a result, I looked around my life at the things that I need, and came across a bookshelf in my room that was a disaster to look at. There were books on top of other books and random objects holding books in place (as shown by the book shelf below). It was then that I realized I needed book-ends.
My vision was finalized when I was scrolling through Pinterest and viewed a steampunk aesthetic with gears, sprockets, and metal. I work in a machine shop, and so all of these items are very accessible to me. I dug through scrap material finding anything heavy enough to hold up books. It was then that I found a few pieces of steel. The steel was from a previous project I worked on, and I knew once I picked them up that I had found my upcycling material. It was rusty, heavy, and had holes in it. I did not take a picture of what it looked like before I took a die grinder to it. However, below is a picture of what it looked like after I polished it.
After die grinding the steel parts and the sprockets, I cleaned up the material and took it over to the Idea Forge to sandblast the material. The sand blasting was necessary in order to obtain the minimum disturbance to the surfaces surrounding the welds. I decided to leave the sharp corners and not grind them down. We spoke in class about how sharp edged provoked thought. I liked this concept.
Additionally, my welds were not aesthetically pleasing by any means. However, sandblasting the parts again hid the burns. Although the tack welds on the sprockets were made weaker by sandblasting a second time.
After sandblasting a second time, I wanted to insert some bolts, nuts, or other mechanical equipment into the holes of the steel parts to make them more pleasing. I tried many variations including smaller sprockets, springs inside of the holes, and colored wire that lined the sprockets.
After many variations, I chose a simplistic look, and decided to remove any obstructions from the top hole, remove the colored wire, and continue an iteration that includes force rusting and sealing with a clear coat.