Inspiration and Project Idea: For my main project, I would like to create something that explores the contrast between light and shadow. My inspiration came to me when I was trying to fall asleep in a dim candle lighted room, and instead of closing my eyes I was staring at the resulting shadow from the candle flame and how it was changing in shape.
I wanted to showcase the contrast between dreams and nightmares. I wanted to show through my design how dreams and nightmares intervene sometimes. We get caught up not knowing if what was living is a dream or a reality, or if its a nightmare or reality. Sometimes we think its a dream but then we discover it’s not, and vice-versa. This project is supposed to show that.
Overall Description: I want to create an artwork that casts different shadows as it rotates, as shown in the image below:
As mentioned in previous posts, I need a light source so that I can cast the shadows that I want. Currently, I am still waiting for the acrylic sheets to get here. I have decided to order the acrylic online instead of getting a basic one colored acrylic from a local store.
As a stretch, I have chosen a double-sided acrylic. Brushed Aluminum silver on black so that I can make the project aesthetically pleasing during day time too.
Addition, instead of having an ordinary light source such as a bulb, I have decided to curate a video and use the mini projector that I already have to cast light and preview a supplementary video that will help give my project a stronger “oomph” when presented.
Next step is to compile the video and add details to my current sketches for engraving purposes.
Top 5 Constraints:
- Aesthetic: Making the shadows relate to each other by telling a story or symbolize greater concepts.
- Cost: ~50$
- Manufacturability: material that can be laser cut and still accomplishes the wanted final look.
- A power source must be present all the time for the artwork to work and be displayed properly.
- Making an object that casts different shadows from different angles.
- Having the apparatus move in the right frequency that allows the viewer to see a shadow art most of the time.
- Dark, creepy, gore aesthetic
- Arabic calligraphy
- Similarities combine:
- sharp unexpected edges that vary in width.
- Excessive use of black and dark colors
Mood Board: Hand Sketches:
Rendering the drawings was one of the hardest parts of this project because I had to combine my sketches into one. Also, I had to make sure there were no loose ends, meaning all parts of the sketches touch so that when they are cut in the laser cutter the sketch comes out in one piece.
Budget Analysis: Originally, I have planned to spend ~$50 on this project. As seen below, I’m a little over budget but I am happy with the quality of the overall project.