For my previous project, my inspirations began with an aesthetic I wanted, and then I used materials that were given to me. It felt mildly disastrous, given that I hadn’t factored in any contingency plans, and the materials continuously acted differently than I had expected. Due to so many surprises from the first project, I took a different approach to this project.
First, I didn’t want to be surprised how my materials would react in different situations- such as not knowing if hot glue would be messy and/or sufficient to hold the materials together. I understand that this will limit my design options by limiting my material choices, however I believe this is necessary in order to create something aesthetically pleasing in a timely manner. I won’t be able to choose from any aesthetic, but I like how wood looks and what options I can work with; essentially, being limited in what aesthetics I can choose from using wood is not something that negatively affects my project.
Second, I want to have a contingency plan. I hit more roadblocks than I expected on my previous project, and I want to have enough time to tackle problems in a satisfying manner. I want to give myself enough time to take a step back from my project and reevaluate my process if necessary.
In order to make these changes, I decided to start with my material and object, and then fit the aesthetic to what I’m building. My school has two wood-shops, with student and faculty workers there to aid in projects. Using wood and my school’s wood-shops ensures I have professional help and advice, so theoretically I will be able to fix any problems before I actually hit them. Another way I’m combating any potential disasters is forcing a shorter timeline, with a full contingency week built into my schedule.
I wanted something I would use often, and decided on furniture. I floated between a coffee table, couch table, standing lamp, desk lamp, and finally landed on a night stand/couch stand. I thought a coffee table was too ambitious for a first time woodworking project, and I eventually decided I didn’t want to include electricity in my project.
I’m aiming for a minimalist, slightly industrial night stand, with an open drawer space and a removable top. I have my list of materials and am solidifying my drawings this week with one of the staff members at the Idea Forge.