Design Review Part 1 – “What”
Inspiration and Existing Design –
- The main inspiration for this project was my aim to build a functional product matching my daily need.
- After identifying a specific need, I decided on building a headphone stand.
- For reference I searched for existing designs online, and discovered a common aspect in all the designs.
- I was sure about building the headphone stand, but decided to give an additional touch with a specific aesthetic.
- Finally I decided steampunk to be the aesthetic and started building my project accordingly.
Existing Designs –
 Minimalist Aesthetic
 Human Aesthetic
Vision and Aesthetic –
- The vision for this project was to successfully build a headphone stand.
- By the end of the project, I should be able to successfully showcase my abilities.
- The product should be fully capable of being used in my day-to day life.
- The aesthetic I chose was steampunk as I am a fan of it and always wanted a product relating to it.
- I am researching various steampunk aspects that I could possibly implement into the product.
 Steampunk Aesthetic
Initial Plan and Sketch –
The final design plans differs from the initial in a few aspects, I’m replacing the steampunk bulb fan by a simple steampunk fan and I’m planning to give portable charging connections to charge your headphone and other electronic devices as this would technically be on your table.
- A wooden base
- Edison Bulb
- Steampunk Skull
- Steampunk Fan
- Gears and additional steampunk aspects
Prototyping so far –
References – https://www.elago.com/h-stand_headphones/h-stand-silver https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/499988180/headphone-stand-wall-mount-hand-holder https://in.pinterest.com/pin/502714377145736646/?lp=true
This looks great so far! I like how your on paper design is really starting to come to life and looks very similar to what you have on paper. I am excited to see the detail that you add for the final. Keep it up!
Nice work, man! Would love to see you incorporate a pencil stand and make the whole thing functional to take the place of many things cluttering your desk. Excited to see the final project!
I think you’re very smart to consider a “disaster period.” I myself have a contingency week built in as well. I think if you can make a way to charge multiple headphones at once it’ll be much better than just a place to hang your headphone sets. Since you’ve already planned for it, just make sure the base is heavy enough to hold everything while balanced
I really like that you left some “time for disaster”. I’m going to have to leave myself some extra time in case something goes horribly wrong! It would be nice if you can include some secondary lights.
Nice work so far! I think you have made some awesome progress thus far and its really coming together. Have you thought of adding the ability to charge other accessories? Maybe iphone, watch, and other smaller electronics? Could be a nice addition.