Update 4/6/2016 Lazy Susan Kitchen Device (LSKD)

1.) Everything went to shit

Unfortunately the 3D printing company that was going to print my design for free, had a machine that broke down and as a result could no longer print my design for 6 months. As a result I had to start redesigning last week on Thursday. I started my baking quick sketches and going to HomeDepot to determine what materials were available. My design started to incorporate wood which would have to be painted black/white to keep up with the modern theme. The design became more square and had more sharp corners, this should also help improve the modern theme. Ideally it would be made out of plastic, but finding acceptable/inexpensive plastic on such  short notice was not feasible.

2.) Redesigning and hand drawn initial sketches

The initial sketches for my design involved a circular base with a few pipes extending upward to another circular plate which had holes to place the spices, see figure 1. After CADing up this model, I discovered that this design was not feasible and made a new design.

Scan 4

Figure 1: First rough idea.

The new design incorporated a square base, top plate and side plates. This design had holes in the side plates in order to hold the spices, see figure 2.

Scan 5

Figure 2: Second rough idea.

3.) CAD

After CADing this, I discovered that I could hold at least 12 spice jars and could make a small rack for olive oil/salt/pepper/other. See figure 3.

IMG_1589

Figure 3: Spice rack CAD model.

4.) CAD Drawings

The final drawings for my CAD models are shown below.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.15.31 PMScreen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.15.15 PMScreen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.15.55 PMScreen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.15.41 PMScreen Shot 2016-04-05 at 4.16.22 PM

Previous Post
Sami’s Project Update 4/6/16
Next Post
Fiber Optic Jellyfish Update April 6

2 Comments. Leave new

  • The 3D printing debacle is unfortunate but I think you are coping very well. I actually really enjoy the wood look in the CAD models. Maybe you could play with that instead of worrying about paint?

    One tip: It’s really hard to see your images in their current size and provide any comments on the design. You could either make them larger in the main post or you can link them to a full or larger size when you click on them very easily in the wordpress editor. Ask me about it next time in class I can show you.

    Reply
  • Alex Peters
    Jacob Mccormick
    April 10, 2016 10:31 pm

    Sorry to hear about the 3D printing disaster, it sounds like you’ve already got a good handle on fixing the situation though. I think you’ve done a great job maintaining your target aesthetic throughout all of your iterations of the design, even though it has changed a lot.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu