I began this project motivated by the love of jewelry and inspiration from a piece I was given my a friend. I dedicated the last month to playing around with different gears, patterns, and cutouts. I have loved this project and the ability to use my love of both mechanics and art. Since my last update, I have made several changes to the design the largest one being an increase in the size of the gears. I also added several cutout designs to the gears themselves. The following designs are representative of both necklaces and bracelets.
The project began virtually. I originally tried to create the gears entirely from scratch. After several failed hours of design, I turned to McMaster Carr and used their dimension drawings to create the appropriate sized gears. I tested 4 different sized teeth using cardboard cutouts. This allowed my to properly align the spacing and discover the best sizing of the gears. The bigger the teeth the more reliable the design was so I utilized the the largest gear teeth I could find. From here, I build 4 base gears and designed several versions with intricate cutout patterns on them. I then arranged them and design the back plates that would support them. All of this work was done in solid works. I used the laser cutter to print the designs. I made sure I tested each design in cardboard before using acrylic. I also cutout scrapbook paper using the laser cutter so I could back the gears. I assembled the designs using head pins to hold the components in place. A pre-made chain and clasp were attached using jump rings to make the art wearable.
|0.125″ Thick Acrylic||$7.99|
Final Design Pieces