I am still planning on trying to create the solar system to fit on my desk. After thinking a little more about the project and how I want to accomplish it, I am planning on implementing a steampunk/metallic type of aesthetic. The constraints that I see at the moment are as follows:
- Time: Time will be the biggest constraint here. I really want to get a good solid design down before I move on to the manufacturing of this product. However, since I want to use all metal, that will add more time on.
- Aesthetic: The steampunk/metallic look will not be to hard to accomplish, however, I probably end up using all metal to complete this project.
- Size: Size is one of the biggest constraints that Im putting on my self. I want this to be no bigger than 6in dia. It has to be able to fit on my desk at home which has very little room. Using all metal, also adds to the weight and the stresses that are imparted on the system.
- Cost: Metal is not cheap. along with that, the size constraint will really drive up the cost of this too.
- Motor and power load: It would be nice to have this not be a plug in gadget. Also, It would be nice to find a good cheap motor that can power nine different gear ratios.