For the final project, I want to try and make the necklace pendant from the movie ‘The Illusionist’. After I first saw that movie, roughly ten years ago, I really wanted the necklace that was in the movie. Even though that was a really long time ago, every time I see that movie I still like that pendant. Now, however, because I’m becoming an engineer, it occurred to me that I could make the necklace myself (even though it will probably be a fair amount of work). I’m really excited about making this. It is something that satisfies the project requirement and is something that I have really wanted to try and make. Below is a picture of the necklace from the movie:
My project is to make a pendant like the one in the movie The Illusionist. The top constraints that I will need to overcome to complete this project are as follows:
- Because this isn’t my only class and the project I’ve picked is a lot of work, one big constraint I will need to consider is time. I will have to be efficient with my time in order to complete the project.
- Another constraint is achieving the aesthetic that I want, which is for the project to look similar to the original item I’m getting my inspiration from. I also want this to be something I am proud of and will actually wear.
- I have little experience using the laser cutter which is something that this project will require heavily. So this inexperience will be a constraint.
- The schedule is another constraint, with the prototype do on Monday and the fast paced schedule. I will have to be careful and make continuous progress to keep on track.
- The last large constraint I will be facing is inexperience in woodworking with small piece. This pendant should pretty small and building such small complex parts will be difficult.
For the prototype, I decided to 3D print a larger version of the pendant. First a made a CAD assembly. That can be seen in the images below:
Then I used a 3D Printer to come make the prototype. Below is a short video of my prototype.
The next step of the project is to alter the CAD design to be with wood and change the mechanism for sliding and rotating locket. After that I will start to cut the wood pieces.