This project was great because I was able to use my passion for engineering and designing alongside my curiosity to learn new skills such as spray painting and working on electronics. I chose to build an electric longboard because I have always wanted to upgrade my longboard. I knew it was going to be an expensive endeavor but I was excited for it nonetheless.
Electric longboards in the market are really expensive, something the size and power of my board could cost up to $1500. I was glad to have built it in around $400. My original project intent was to build the electric longboard and I did. I am glad that it works and I love riding it everyday!
Presenting it at the expo was a lot of fun as well, and I got to interact with other people and show them my creation. A few people also test rode it and loved the experience.
However, there are a few things that I would have changed about the design. I want to improve the design by 3-d printing a sleeker electric enclosure. While I like the transparent look of the acrylic enclosure, I think that the longboard would look better if it was not transparent. I will 3d print it as soon as the summer starts.
The semester was great, and I learned a lot of new skills. Besides sketching and learning about the history of aesthetics, I also learned some unexpected skills such as soldering, woodworking, spray painting, laser cutting, and designing electric systems. Although my project was really challenging and difficult, I felt great completing it. I look forward to building my next iteration of the electric longboard.