My aesthetic is something that I am defining as Chaotic. There is hardly order in the structure of what visually makes up this lampshade. What you see on the outside are pointed leaves of multicolored paper shrouding the light in a way that has no pattern. Light is able to peek through at random spots where there is enough of a break between two leaves.
The brainstorming activities we did in class didn’t help much sadly….
- I struggled coming up with both WHAT I would make and HOW I would make it.
- I couldn’t decide which question to start with
- Eventually, I had an idea to make some sort of lantern similar to the one below because I could use many different types of materials in building one. I liked the way it followed a repetitive pattern as well.
Once I decided on my Object…
- I messed around with what a lantern would entail. I figured that I would personally want to add some sort of lighting.
- Rather than devise a way to light an object by itself, I realized that making a lampshade was similar to a lantern.
- Finally, I have had a bunch of newspaper sitting around, so I decided to put some to use.
- Cardboard disc
- Paper bowl
All of the materials apart from the newspaper were found around my workspace at work.
I envisioned making something that was a low more flowy that what ended up being created, which in hindsight would have required many more long strips than I made. Furthermore I would have tried using a different frame for a better shape.
I’m going to actually use it!
If I remade it I would like to use a different material, newspaper was just readily available and free.
- If i used fabric and ironed each piece, they would hang down nicely
Try different shapes
- Maybe a box, or a better sphere shape