Vision and inspiration:
For my up-cycle project, I decided to create a drawer out of cardboard. My inspiration came from necessity. I simply was in need for a drawer and this project helped me make one with minimum cost. It was also because I had all the materials needed to create the product. Moreover, I wanted the aesthetics of the drawer to resemble a real furniture. Thus, I have used a wallpaper that has a wood texture to cover the outside appearance of the drawer.
1)Available Materials: due to the requirement of the assignment, my first concern was what materials do I have in my disposal that can be used. Since I have amazon prime, I end up with a lot of shipping boxes.
2) Brainstorming: my biggest concern in this step was to come up with as many ideas as possible. However, the option to build something out of card boxed are endless. Thus, i have decided to do something that would be useful.
3) Objective of product: after coming up with multiple ideas, I have decided to do a drawer because it was something I wanted to buy for my apartment and doing this project will save me money. So two birds with one stone.
4) CAD: I usually would sketch before modeling in CAD, but since the concept was simple, I have skipped it and started with CADing.
5) Drawings: Having a fully dimensioned drawing of each part.
6) Tools: I have yet to reach this step, which states what tools do I need to build my product.
7) Manufacturing: last step is to build the product.
After getting all the materials and tools needed for the project, I started cutting and assembling the whole product following the drawing from the CAD I created. I used a big cardboard that was used to ship a computer case with 20x21x12 inches dimension. The two drawers were shipping boxes from amazon. As shown in the previous image, I had to use the foam that came with the box to hold the drawers in place.
One of the toughest challenges I faced working in this project is to only use materials that are basically waste. It was tough because as I started working on it, I wanted to make it better, stronger and more aesthetically pleasing. There were many options to achieve that, however it required buying materials, which defies the goal of this project.
Some improvements that could be done on this design would be to use smalls wheels on each drawer to make its movement much smoother. The product could also be made from compressed wood, which is easy to find as a waste in the ITLL, yet provide a stronger product.