Top 5 Specifications and Constraints
- Organic Aesthetic
The first and arguably most important specification for my project is achieving the Organic Aesthetic. As seen in the figure below I believe I achieve this with my Topology Optimization output of the Fountain Head as seen below:
Figure. 1 Topology Output Bottom Isometric View
- Rotating Fountain Head
Another important specification in my project is that the fountain head has to rotate. A dynamic element is required in this project and including a bearing in the counter bored hole in the figure above will allow for this.
- Battery Powered System
A specification that I decided on throughout the course of the project is that I wanted this system to be battery powered. A lot of pumps like this can be USB powered but I want to be able to put this pump anywhere.
- Pressure Head
One of the technical specifications for this project is the pressure head of the system. While when selecting components, I was able to get in the ballpark I decided to implement a potentiometer in the system to dial it in.
The last specification is the pump for the system. There are certain size and power specifications that needed to be in place to ensure a functional system.
- 3-D Printing
3-D Printing is a large factor constraining my project. While this is the only feasible way of manufacturing the fountain head each print can take upward of 24 hours and needs a lot of support material as seen in on of my many failed prints below:
Figure. 2 Failed Fountain Head 3-D Print
One of the other major constraints I am facing in this project is the space in the fountain base. I didn’t initially design in enough room for the tubing to be routed without kinking. I am currently working on a solution for this but have attached an image below:
Figure. 3 Electronics and Tubing of Fountain System
Time is a large constraint for this project because of everything else going on during second semester of senior year. I am spending a lot of time for senior projects deliverables and fell as if I am running out of time for other courses.
Another constraint is the materials for various components of the system. I was limited to plastics for the fountain head since it was being 3-D printed. The poor surface quality forced me to get a PLA sealant. And the hosing I am currently using are very prone to kinking as seen in Figure 3.
- Available Tools
I only have a couple of battery powered hand tools at my small apartment. This limited how well I could fabricate the wooden structure and the surface finishes I was able to achieve.
Picture 1: Original Content
Picture 2: Original Content
Picture 3: Original Content