So far I have been able to collect all of the materials for the tapestry and determine exactly how I want to go about constructing the piece. I have selected to use mostly darker denim material that I picked up from the thrift store. I have been cutting apart the pairs of jeans along the seams to get 4 panels of material from each pair of jeans. I know I want the piece to be 3′ in height by 5′ in length, and I want to add some tassels along the bottom edge made from cuffs. I am planning on creating a border out of pant legs, with a checkered pattern in the middle. I believe this pattern will work very well with the differing shades of indigo and dark blue that I am using. I am also considering using features from the jeans such as back pockets , belt loops, and zippers to build on the arts and crafts aesthetic. I am also considering adding variety by using a dremel to distress some sections and include flannel material. I am going to sew the piece together using the machines in the idea forge, and use the circular cutting tool on the no slip mat to create the panels.
I have made more progress on how I plan to complete the project. I have determined that I want the tapestry to be 3′ x 5′, and changed up the checkerboard pattern to be less panels. This is because I am going to sew over the base layer to add more details later on. So far I have spent $30 on two pairs of jeans and a flannel I like the pattern of. I am going to sew the flannel material behind the tapestry and use the dremel to wear down the denim so the material shows through. I think that artificially distressing the material will add a worn look, and emphasize the upcycle aesthetic of the project. Here are images of the planned layout and drawing that I used to determine the size of the pieces.