Top 5 Specifications
- The lamp will be made of wood and other natural materials to fit the mod-century modern/contemporary aesthetic I’m aiming for.
- The articulating function of the lamp should be able to support the lamp and move smoothly. There shouldn’t be a lot of force required to move the lamp around ideally.
- There should be multiple different light settings. This might take form in different light warmness settings, or maybe different brightness levels.
- The lamp should be stable and not wobbly when being adjusted. This is important so that the light doesn’t flicker or shake when the desk it’s on is bumped.
- It would be neat to have the lamp fully fold flat when not in use so that it can be stored elsewhere easily.
Top 5 Constraints
- Since this is going to be a desk lamp, it needs to be compact enough to fit on my desk with a minimal footprint
- The desk lamp will be made of quality wood, extra intent will be needed to keep material costs low.
- The lamp should be energy efficient, ideally using LEDs.
- Weight should be kept to a minimum. I’ll be moving the lamp around my desk to get better lighting for different situations, so the lamp being light is a key constraint.
- The wiring for the electronics in the lamp needs to be relatively simple and robust so as to avoid electrical problems.
Great job identifying the constraints of this project, I think those make for a good outline for the design. I’m curious to see what materials you end up using for the project as I think those will completely change the look of the lamp. I think they make desk lamp kits that only provide the electronics so I think that could be cool to look into if you want the electronics to be simple. Excited to see how this turns out!
I love the aesthetic approach you are taking to this design. What kind of lights are you planning on using? LEDS?
It seems like you’ve put a lot of thought into the functionality of the light and how you would like the light to be operated. I think the different light modes with color temperature or brightness is nice because it makes the lamp more versatile.