- I’ve decided to make my design follow a minimalist aesthetic. I would like to focus on making the design as clean cut and functional as possible. Since this will be a present to my father I would also like for him to be able to customize it however he would like.
- The material will be PLA to make for easy manufacturing and repeatability
- Foam and padding will also be needed to create a soft holding place for the watches so avoid scratching and cracking of the surfaces.
- Individual holders will be rigid and stationary. Gears will be only moving parts on the assembly.
- Finished product will be coloured dark brown and black
- Since the project is going to be mostly 3D printed the cost should only be dependent on the total cost of a PLA roll which is about $40
- The design will be small enough to sit on top of a dresser and not take up excessive space. I plan on making the bottom bevel gear no larger than 5 inches in diameter and the side bevel holder about 3-4 inches tall.
- The bevel gear ratio will be low so that the rotations of the crank bevel are closely matched
- Thickness of gears will be .5’’
- Teeth of gears will be involute and curved.
The overall specifications and constraints should not be very hard to achieve since they will be 3D printed. I know the 3D printers at the itll can be faulty and are notorious for messing up prints so