What is it?
For this project, I created a multifunctional art piece in a colorful maximalist aesthetic.
My inspiration came from a TikTok video I saw of a similar concept, but it was made out of wood. I initially planned to include the same functionality in my design, but made a slight modification during the fabrication process.
This piece is made out of clay — inspired by my recent trip to Santa Fe, new Mexico.
During the aforementioned trip to Santa Fe, I met a woman named Donna Nova, a glass bead maker. I purchased a selection of glass flowers from her, which I wanted to create a clay vase for. Instead of including the lightbulb from the inspiration video included above, I used the third hole to hold Donna Nova’s glass flowers.
For this project, I wanted the final project to reflect the intended aesthetic and be something I could add as a decorative piece in my living room.
Top 5 Specifications:
- Has more than one intended function or purpose
- Uses existing or up-cycled materials for construction
- Incorporates course concepts and feedback provided on my previous blog posts
- Incense properly ventilates
- Materials and coatings used are safe when incense is burning inside
Top 5 Constraints:
- Lack of time for iteration
- Integration challenges after the clay dries
- Inability to modify the design after the clay dries
- Achieving precise dimensions using clay
- Method of fastening door could inhibit movement
Design Process Overview
For this design, I followed the process listed below.
- Sketches and dimensions
- Peer feedback consideration
- Sculpt clay brick
- Let partially dry
- Carve out holes based on drawing
- Fit check integrated items
- Adjust hole dimensions as necessary
- Smooth all surfaces
- Let dry completely
- Verify paint colors on sketch
- Paint all surfaces
- Let dry
- Add beads
- Seal surfaces
- Integrate additional items (test tube, glass flowers, incense)
Final Design: Form, Aesthetic, etc.
How the Aesthetic is Embodied in the design
The colorful maximalism aesthetic is embodied in this design by the inclusion of multiple unrelated functionalities and multiple bright colors.