Upcycle Final Report: A Tribute to Ovechkin

Inspiration

In the early stages of this project I had trouble finding inspiration for what I wanted to work on. I began to go through my old photos to maybe find that spark. It hit me when I found the photos when I witness the Washington Capitals win the Stanley cup in D.C. in 2018. Memories of the parades, Ovechkin drunk for a straight week following the win, and almost every member of the team shotgunning bud lights and champagne on the award stage, it hit me. I would make a Stanley cup out of Bud Light.

Supplies
  1. Thirty 12 oz. Bud Light cans
  2. Recycled metal trays
  3. Metal chalice bowl
  4. Adhesives
  5. Hot glue gun
Design Process

The biggest constraint with this project was clearly the cost of the cans themselves. Originally I had designed for a sixty-two can statue, but it became clear I did not have the funds for this so I was restricted to a thirty can statue. The designs below are for the original sixty-two can, and the thirty can design was very on the fly.

Vision

I wanted to create a statue fit for Ovechkin himself. The week following the Capitals win he never let the cup out of his grasp, no matter his physical condition.  I intended to re-create the iconic base-heavy shape of the Stanley cup, but with the thirty can restraint, this was not fully achieved.

Fabrication

This process began with a “dry-run” mock up of building the design without any adhesives, simply by stacking the cans. Then, one by one I glued the bottom ring of the cans of the base layer and pressed them into the metal plate. Once I began gluing up layer by layer, I realized at the end I had four extra cans. Rather than extend the height of the statue, I added to the aesthetic instead by gluing said four cans sideways around the side of the ring. I believe this added a great deal of aesthetic value to my project.

Looking Forward

I believe that using thinner metal trays in between each layer would be beneficial, it would not only increase the structural integrity of the statue, but make the cans appear to be level with the ground. Finding a better way to glue the cans together would attribute to the overall aesthetic appeal, rather than the hot glue being very apparent at the adhesion sites. Finally, I would want to add even more 12 oz. cans in order to make the statue look more realistic and lifelike when compared to the real thing.

Previous Post
Upcycle Final Report // Laser Cut Chess Pieces
Next Post
Upcycle Final Report 2020: Cardboard Roller-coaster

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu