Progress on Aspen Branch Light

I love aspen trees, and I thought that using them to make some sort of decorative light would be really neat. I started by gathering a bunch of fallen aspen branches and logs on a hike up by Nederland High School. I didn’t want to cut anything off a living tree because firstly that would be rude, and secondly, I wouldn’t know how the branches would act as they dried. As I discovered while loading the dead branches into the car, the thin ones are very, very brittle. I had wanted to gather a small bunch of branches together and wind LEDs and some thin silver colored wire around them. Unfortunately, the branches are way to delicate, and I knew I’d probably break them all just in the process of wiring the thing.

Fallen aspen branches.

Fallen aspen branches.

While trying to figure out what to do with the branches, I wired up my circuit. I got some cycling RGB LEDs and an awesome button on Sparkfun.

It works!

It works!

I decided that I would try to make a tepee looking structure with the branches and put the LEDs inside. For the base, I cut some circles out of foam core and glued them together. The plan was to cast the base out of aluminum. I’ve had a bucket furnace (the idea came from Grant Thompson – “The King of Random” on YouTube) for about a year, but I never really had much success casting anything other than randomly shaped ingots.

Foam core circles for casting a base.

Foam core circles for casting a base.

I got the furnace started, and it took about 3 hours to get enough metal liquid enough to pour. The one I’ve got isn’t great, it’ll need to be rebuilt if I actually want to make something out of metal in a reasonable amount of time.

Furnace with a couple ingots heating up.

Furnace with a couple ingots heating up.

I covered the foam core base with Plaster of Paris, buried it in sand, and poured the molten aluminum in. As usual, the metal didn’t melt the foam of the actual part I wanted. All I got was the sprue; it was a perfect replica, but I would have preferred the base. Oh well.

Progress has been made!

Progress has been made!

I improved a base by using a plastic lid of an old jar that was laying around. After I got the circuit wired up to one of the shorter branches, I attached it to the base. I hid the wiring with some scraps of fabric left over from a sewing project. So for now, the lights work, and the whole thing stands up. I’ve got a big pile of sticks to attached all around the base to hide as much of the black plastic as possible. I think it’ll look nice when its done.

, , ,
Previous Post
Cardboard Hexagon Lamp
Next Post
Vinyl Record Clock

1 Comment. Leave new

Andre Szlendak
February 3, 2016 12:25 pm

I like the lights, the digital has a cool contrast on the natural sticks. Has a calming feel. I definitely felt the rustic modern aesthetic.

Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu