For my upcycle project, I created chandelier and matching tumbler glasses out of four, repurposed Jameson whiskey bottles.The aesthetic I wanted to capture was that of a traditional, quiet English/Irish pub. I wanted to embody the green/brown glass, deep red/walnut wooden textures, brass and copper fixtures, etc.. Everything that conveys the comfortable appeal of a pub in a refined yet aged aesthetic.
Image source: http://streckers.dk/project/old-english-pub/
It has been mentioned in a few other posts, so I suppose I can say it again: the hardest part was picking an upcycle concept and material. Once I had a few concepts on paper, the design started to flow pretty naturally. My design loop began with inspiration from a gift I had received from my uncle (prefers to remain unnamed for this post): Two glass whiskey tumblers he had fabricated from the bottom of a pair of Jameson bottles. I had initially decided to make a matching set from wine or whiskey bottles I had collected from the recycling bin and like share them as gifts to friends once I had fabricated them. However, what occurred to me was that the glasses were easy to make and did not account for the tops of the left over bottles. With this in mind, I ideated on what could be fabricated from the leftover top halves. Thus I found inspiration from a DIY instructional for a similar design concept, shown below. From this concept I made a few revisions, several in order to accomplish my aesthetic goals and others to make the design more robust for safety considerations.
Check out the step-by-step DIY here: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/how-to-make-a-chandelier-from-old-wine-bottles
Surprisingly it actually took me longer to draft the design and specify the materials than it did to do all the fabrication. Below are the steps I followed to create the final product.
1) Cut the four bottles
2) Cut, drill and stain both the fixture boards
3) Make four light socket assemblies and fixture them into the bottles on the larger board.
4) Wire each socket through the bottle and board and attach the leads for the outlet plug.
5) Enjoy the final products!
- I am pleased that the lighting is both functional & safe-ish
- Minor changes would be require to mount the fixture indoors
- Very pleased with how the overall aesthetic developed
- Captured the English pub aesthetic by utilizing brass hardware, stained wood and the deep, green Jameson bottles to make all the components look “aged”
Design Improvements for Future Iterations:
- Add trim pieces to hide the messy wiring when hung up
- Add a junction box to clean up and conceal the wiring connections
- If actually hung up, the leads would be strung out the top and connected to a switch
- Other bottle types and colors (jars/beer/wine bottles, clear/brown/blue etc.)
- Softer, less bright bulbs
As for the final product’s fate, I would like to gift the chandelier to my uncle since he provided the inspiration…and a couple of the empty bottles! I sincerely enjoyed this project and am very excited about how the final aesthetic evolved throughout the process. If you have any comments or questions please feel free to address them below.