For my final project, I made a magnetic makeup organizer. I was inspired by neon signs and the high-tech aesthetic. I wanted to make something that I would be able to use, but really focused on how it looked before functionality. I previously debated different neon signs, but chose the hello one showed below and above on my final product.
In terms of materials used, I did not deviate much from my design review. I used the steel sheet metal from Home Depot, the frame from Michael’s, and the cup from target. However, I did change the type of magnets due to some concern brought up in my design review. People pointed out that the tape might not be strong enough and after further consideration, I agreed. I purchased some circular magnets from Michael’s and these did the trick. They were much stronger than the tape, but not too intense for the purpose of my project. The overall cost ended up coming to around $40 which I was happy with. I also purchased extra magnets, so I can add them to future makeup that I buy and choose to put on the organizer.
In order to create my project, I started with putting the sheet metal into the frame and spray painting all of it black. I wanted to keep it clean and stick with the high-tech aesthetic I was originally inspired by. After this was dry, I first tried hot glue to attach the cup and the sign, but this proved to not be strong enough for the sign. I ended up using hot glue for the sign and may end up using it for the cup if the hot glue does not hold up for the expo. Next, I used hot glue for all of the magnets. I put two to four magnets on each makeup item, so they would not be able to slip. I’m considering painting the base of the hello sign as well for expo, just to keep the colors limited. Although I did not fully achieve the high-tech aesthetic I liked originally, I did put a fun twist on it and I think it matches better this way.
For future recommendations, I would try this out in a larger size, so I can add more makeup. The 12×12 size is enough for me right now and perfect as I will be moving soon, but when I am settled in one place for a good amount of time, I will probably want a larger version of this organizer. I would also try to get a sturdier frame because this one can be a bit flimsy. This hasn’t been problematic yet, but I worry I might run into issues with it down the line. Lastly, I would fit the material to the frame a little better because it pops out on the sides sometimes, but all in all this has been a really fun project to work on and something I’ve gotten a lot of use out of.