What and How.
I designed a lock box based off of an old lock box that I already have. I have always been fascinated with its design and curious about how precise one would need to be in order to function properly.
The box functions in multiple stages. First, the front bottom piece must slide about an inch or two to the left so that the right bottom piece can be slid completely out. Then, the front piece can be removed completely as well. At this point, the front of the house is home to a secret panel that slides completed out the bottom that has now been opened up by removing the last piece. Behind this piece lies a key and a keyhole. When unlocked, a piece of the roof slides forward, completely out and allows the roof to open up. The importance of having an aesthetic on this box is to cover up its true purpose. If it were to appear like a box, then it would be immediately recognizable as something that holds objects inside. The box it is based on is designed to look like a stack of books in one way or another. Rather than just any house, a Tudor style house is very distinct, has high contrast allowing me to hide many of the openings well, and was recreatable with the tools I had access to, and desired to use.
I used a bandsaw to cut out almost every one of my pieces, except the lattice design that is characteristic of Tudor Style houses. To do this, I used a laser cutter housed in Atlas. A wide variety of other tools, however, were involved in the shaping of some pieces, and the overall assembly. For example, the rails that slide onto the front and right of the box were assembled using a hammer and tacks, as well as a belt sander. Wood glue was used for almost all of the structural assembly, aside from these tacks. I purchased white green and black paint to finish the piece, and already had access to wood stain for the roof and base.
Costs vs. Budget
My budget was to avoid going near $100, with an expected minimum of $40. Wood alone came in at about $30, paint cost $7, the lock installed in the front cost $6, and I had access to the glue, metal brackets, scrap wood, and other pieces that were required to finish the piece, through Atlas. My expected minimum was met, and barely exceeded by just about $3.
Acknowledgements of Assistance
I would like to thank Atlas laser masters Babatunde Adegoke and Cicada Carpenter for their assistance in helping get this project done.