The Lamp is coming along very well! Following the initial sketches I made, I went ahead and took measurements of the board and my lamp frame to get a better sense of how the slats would be made. From here I made a template of one of the slats with a slight curve. I feel the curves will give it a more mid century modern look as this was something I saw in a lot of my research. I also notice darker wood, which my board doesn’t have, so I might have to look into staining or lacquer. See below for photos of the measurements.
From there I cut the ends off the board (see below) where the board tilts up, so I would be working with only flat pieces. I used the template to draw on my pattern and began cutting using a jigsaw. The pieces came out well but I did notice the plywood coming apart in some spots. I do have room to cut back if needed, so hopefully this doesn’t cause problems going forward.
I then began sanding the pieces and taking off the paint (so sad). This is currently ongoing and looks like it might take a while. The wood underneath looks very good, and so I’m happy so far with how its turning out (see below).
Other things that I have gotten recently for the Lamp are two different cloths for diffusing the light. I got some transparency paper that has less texture but diffuses the light really well, and then I got a canvas cloth that has a subtle texture but needs to be double backed for proper diffusion. I haven’t decided on which to use but they both seem like they would work well (see below).
For further inspiration, My grandmother is sending me books on mid-century modern design. My mom went to the Cranbrook School growing up which played a big role in mid-century modern design, and so my grandma is very familiar with it and can probably give me good insight.
What I have left to do is the following:
- Finish sanding the brackets
- Fabricate and install the backings for the slats
- Cut and install the diffusing fabric
- Cut and fit the top and bottom plates
- Consider staining the wood
- Consider capping the back
I think the best course of action is to figure out how to slide the front panel on first before doing anything else. After that I think the end caps, and then obviously do most of the finishing at the end.