Deciding on an upcycle project was difficult. It was overwhelming to look at all the possibilities online, and it was even more overwhelming to try and come up with a completely original idea. After digging around on the internet for a long time and not being captivated with anything I saw, I decided to dig around my apartment to see what I had excess of that I could use for this project. I came across all my 35mm film negatives. I have a lot of negatives, some very old that I never look at anymore. I settled on the idea to do something with my neglected negatives. I took back to the internet for inspiration. After some research and brainstorming I decided to create a lamp out of the negatives. I thought this would be a great way to display the pictures that I had stuffed away for along time. I found inspiration for some lamps that are sold on etsy. Here is a picture of one:
The lampshade I created is made up of strips of film, a frame from an old lampshade, and a clear bendable folder. I found an old lampshade at Goodwill and cut it up to use the frame. I hand-stitched the strips of film onto a clear folder for support. I fit the folder to the frame and used embroidery thread to attach them together. The process was simple, but did take a considerable amount of time due to all the hand stitching. I really like how the hand stitching turned out. I think that it adds to the DIY aesthetic of the lampshade. I think the final product succeeded in being both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I am excited to have it in my room.
In class we discussed the design process. The typical design process that the class drew was circular. We discussed how the process is never perfectly linear or even perfectly round. There is always jumping back and forth between steps as you are designing something, running into mistakes and then iterating on your design. That was pretty much true for this project. It took me a couple tries to figure out a sturdy way to construct the lampshade. The main barrier I had to overcome was that the film curls up easily. Attaching it to a clear folder eliminated this problem. I also experimented with some different stitching patterns to see what looked the best. Overall, I am very happy with the end result.