I started off selecting a frame. This old Fuji had practically no useful components on it, and would be more trouble to salvage than it would be worth. If I donated it, it would likely go to scrap. Furthermore, it was aluminum which should resist corrosion. I took a handsaw to it.
After the rear triangle was separated from the bike, I took some methylene chloride based paint stripper to it. A dozen chemical burns later, I got the following. This triangle was heavily bead blasted, and so it would need to be refinished.
Going from 180 to 220 to 320 grit sandpaper, I was able to achieve to following over the surface of the frame. Strangely enough, going with finer grit actually seemed to make the finish duller. From here I went to a polishing wheel with soft, paraffin based, chrome compound.
The seat I found unfortunately had the seatpost permanently affixed. What’s more is the seatpost was too small to fit in the frame. I 3D printed this shim to fill the annulus.
With polishing done and the seatpost fitted, I pulled the cup holder off of the scrapped frame, resulting in this:
Overall, I like it. Was it worth the better part of 2 days and two lifted fingernails? We’ll see! It is definitely a keeper. Beats standing while I eat.
Things I like:
- Looks cool.
- Adjustable height.
- Beer holder.
- Doesn’t scratch the floor.
- Decently comfortable.
- Good range of heights.
Things to improve:
- More polishing after I’ve recovered.
- Remove the cable lugs for a cleaner look. This would bring it closer to the 50s aesthetic.
- Find paint to match the seat post clamp and bottle cage to the seat.
- Remove the bottom bracket.
- Cut off the remainders of the top and down tubes. Find some way to face them.
- Put a flair on the shim so that it doesn’t fall into the frame when the seat is adjusted.
- Seatpost sometimes rotates under heavy load. You could say my stool is loose.
 https://plus.google.com/106813244834608507382/posts  http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/work-benches/stools/bar-stool/1950s-chrome-swivel-bar-stool-with-green-seat-metal-30-bar-stool?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKEAiA27G1BRCEopST9M39gykSJADQyqAlSuKuK-Y8So_75dsY8FdZPUkaamKz7LcfA3e0tscoehoCyRHw_wcB