A lot of progress has been made on the build of the coffee brewer. I bought all the materials that we’d need over the weekend and started building early this week.
Started by cutting the wood planks down to size.
Then cut out slots for some L-Brackets to help support the weight of the water, jug, and coffee ground.
We used a band-saw to cut the covers for the L-Brackets. The plan is to have them hidden on the inside so that all that can be seen on the outside is the wood. The pictures below should help with visualizing the effect.
The covers aren’t finished yet, but I plan on finishing them soon, after I figure out how to properly secure the rest of the frame together.
Here is a dry assembly (mock-up) of what the project could look like. To achieve the inside curves I plan on cutting a square chunk of wood in half along the diagonal and then use a round sander to help shape it. We might abandon that idea though, as we are really enjoying the grains of the wood and took extra care to make sure they lined up as close as possible when the pieces are assembled.
It is turning out to be a lot bigger than both my friend and myself have originally thought. This is okay though, because we added a lot of extra “slack” in the design in case something went wrong. I plan to keep building tomorrow and should have the frame basically done. We bought two different kinds of stains and plan to stain the insides and outsides different colors.
I hope to have the container done soon as well. The only thing that needs to be figured out to finish the jar is how to punch/cut a hole into a stainless steel lid.