I think my engineering mentality has led me to believe that the best way to start something is to think linearly. But things never ever end up the way I planned it, so I really should learn from my mistakes. Nevertheless, I started this Upcycle project with a linear design process. From choosing materials, to ideation, sketching, and execution.. it seemed appropriate for these simple hanging planters. As I am writing this blog post late, I can attest to having to go back and reevaluate my time and resources.
For instance, I’ve started braiding the plastic bags and what I didn’t realize was how much plastic I actually need to get the cord length I need to actually make the cradle for the glass. Additionally, cutting glass with acetone and string has not been the easiest thing– so I will be keeping the glasses intact as a result of my failed efforts.