For my final project I will be making a magnetic makeup organizer. I have provided a few examples that I have found above. The one on the left is very simple, made with a cookie sheet and some paper, while the one on the right was being sold for nearly $200. I will be using an approach similar to the one on the right, with a simpler frame. This will be incredibly useful as I have a lot of makeup and need to be able to quickly grab everyday items when I am on the run, but it is not always so easy as my collection is pretty cluttered at the moment. It will also be hung on the wall which will be nice because I already have limited space to work with.
My top 5 constraints include:
- Dimensions: I need to create something that will be able to hang and fit in a variety of rooms. I currently have a space to do my makeup, but with graduation just around the corner, I will be moving and setting up a new makeup area.
- Light: I want to add some colored lights, but want them to work with me and not against me, so figuring out what size and color will be interesting.
- Cutting: Cutting the material to be hung may prove challenging because it will need to fit inside the frame I decide to use. I have decided to use material that will fit in a standard size frame in order to cut down manufacturing time and focus more on the aesthetic.
- Aesthetic: My inspiration for the project pulled from a bunch of aesthetics, so I will need to figure out how to incorporate everything I want while keeping one, cohesive look.
- Money: While I want my finished product to look nice and be unique, I do have a limited budget, so I’ll need to work around this to end up with a product that I love in the end.
For my final project, I want to channel the aesthetic of neon signs. Typically when I see neon signs, they are the focal point of the room or display they are featured in and this is something I want to incorporate into my project. When looking into more neon signs for inspiration, I found the image above on the left and I really like the way the flowers look around it because the contrast between the neon sign and the nature aesthetic is striking in a way. I know for my project I want to incorporate the light aesthetic just as when I began my upcycle project. In addition to the neon sign, I am also drawing inspiration from the high tech aesthetic that we discussed in class. I like the matte black contrasted with the bright lights of the screens and I think this could look really nice with something used for organization because it looks sharp and clean.
I will be using a 12×12 piece of steel sheet metal, a simple, black picture frame, some magnetic tape and a black, plastic cup. I am still considering using more powerful magnets to ensure the makeup will stay in place. I am also planning to spray paint the metal black to keep it in line with the high-tech aesthetic, so the cup will match nicely. The cup will be used to hold brushes and makeup sponges that I do not want to put magnets on.
For the actual light aspect of the project, I am planning to purchase one of these small neon sign decorations shown above. I think the lips would be nice because it is a makeup display and the blue is definitely fitting for the high-tech aesthetic, but the pink is also a little more feminine and could look nice too. I like the hello sign because I know that the light will not be too harsh and it doesn’t have any loose cords. I am also considering purchasing the materials to make my own, unique sign.
- https://www.etsy.com/listing/493990556/makeup-organizer-magnetic-make-up https://weheartit.com/entry/308616846