For my final project I made the 50s style coat shown above!
Here is my original sketch that I made when I was still unclear what I wanted to make for this final project.
Prototype Number 1: 1/4 size paper coat
I decided to make a 1/4 size version of the coat out of paper to see if it would look right using the dimensions I had figured out. I didn’t end up making the sleeves because they would have stuck straight out if they were made of paper. This helped me figure out some problems with my sketches. Then I made some sketches with even more detail. These dimensions correspond to a 1/4 size coat.
I realized that the collar was going to be hard to figure out so I made some sketches to wrap my mind around it.
Prototype Number 2: 1/2 size coat
Next I made a 1/2 size coat out of fabric. I got some bad quality fabric for free and I decided to make a small version of the coat to see how it will turn out. I made the sewing pattern out of paper and then cut out the fabric leaving room around the edges for the seams.
Prototype 2.5: Full size vest